Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My Thoughts on the 2014 Annie Awards


What did I think about the Annie Awards this year? Well......

I'm feeling very mixed about them. Thankfully, they didn't open the wrong envelope when saying the winner of one of the awards like they did last year and the year before that. However, we kind of expect them to open the correct envelope when announcing who won, so it's really nothing I should be thankful about. It should be common sense.

The first hour of the award show was awful. The host of the show, Patrick Warburton, was acting as if he was doing some sort of stand up comedy routine at an award show! He did make a few good jokes here and there, especially once he got over ranting about Seth MacFarlane, but really all I wanted to see was which films won the awards. Also, the voice of Sherman from the upcoming animated film Mr. Peabody and Sherman was doing some of the show. What is a little kid doing on an award show?! Also, for the first few awards, Tom Kenny (the voice of SpongeBob) and Cloris Leachman were saying the winners. That would have been fine, if only they were actually funny and if they didn't take such a long time to open the envelopes when us animation fans were practically dying to find out who won!

One huge problem was that whenever something Mickey Mouse related, be it the Get a Horse! short film before Frozen or the series of shorts they recently put on TV, won an award, they would play the music from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse! That is a huge insult! Do they not have any respect for these ingenious short films and just decided to put in the theme song to one of the biggest disgraces to animation?! You just don't do that! At least Christopher Willis, the man who composed the music for the TV shorts pointed out that they were playing the wrong music. The Annie Awards did pick up as it went on, though.

Now I think I should talk about my thoughts on the winners. This was pretty mixed, too.

First things first, Best Animated Film...... I don't think Frozen should have won. I think Monsters University was a slightly better film. Don't get me wrong, Frozen was an excellent masterpiece, but Monsters University was a little bit better. I have no problem accepting the fact that Frozen won. In fact, I'm really happy it won, but I would have been more happy, and more surprised, if Monsters University won.

That does not mean that Pixar didn't get any awards, though. In fact, it won quite a few. Toy Story of TERROR! won 3 awards, and Monsters University won 2 awards.

I would have liked to see The Simpsons win some awards. However, I am happy that Futurama won something. What I did not like though was how Adventure Time won Best Children's Show over Gravity Falls. Am I the only one who thinks that Adventure Time is a god-awful show? Gravity Falls is an excellent show and definitely deserved the award! To see the full list of the films and shows that won, click here.

While the Annie Award were better than they were last year, this is Animation's Highest Honor we're talking about here! Show a bit more respect! And if possible, try and get the Annie Awards on TV in the future, well at least once they fix up all the problems with the Awards show.

No comments:

Post a Comment