Monday, May 5, 2014

How the Art of Animation is Helping me Cope With Loss

This is going to be a lot more personal than my other blog posts, but I am not afraid of writing about my personal life on here, as long as it is related to animation. In this case, this beautiful art form has been helping me through a very tough time right now. I should point out that I am not one of those really depressed and unhappy individuals. In fact, I think I'm quite the opposite. However, it is perfectly normal for me to be having a hard time dealing with what I am about to tell you and it is also perfectly normal for me to find ways to overcome this. I am here to tell you how this, unfortunately, underappreciated art form has been helping me through an extremely tough time in my life.

A little over a month ago, my grandfather, who I was extremely close with, unfortunately passed away. This is the first death of a close relative I have been through, other than the deaths that happened when I was younger when I did not understand the idea of death as much as I do now. Because of this, you can understand why I might not be taking this particularly well. However, there is one thing that has been helping me cope with this terrible loss. That thing is what this entire blog is dedicated to: Animation.

Animation has helped me through this difficult time an unimaginable amount. As an animation fan, I have been watching and appreciating animated films religiously for years. It's my passion. But animation has also helped me through a lot in the past. If I have a crappy day, for example, I would pop in an animated film, be it Pixar, Disney, or anything else and it would just throw all my problems away. Or perhaps I would watch a few episodes of my favourite show, The Simpsons, and laugh myself silly. But now during this really difficult time in my life, it has helped me even more than it ever has.

This is a remarkably powerful art form. The fact that animation has helped me through so much makes me even more upset about the fact that people simply do not appreciate the artistry and beauty that is animation. I have been saying this for years. Animation is not kiddie stuff, despite popular belief. It never was something targeted only towards kids. Animation is a form of storytelling. Saying animation is for kids is exactly like saying that superhero movies are meant for kids. Don't deny it, it's true.

Animated films have this way of making me feel so much better when I am going through a hard time, and this is one of the most difficult times I've ever gone through. There is nothing better for me than getting captivated in the story of an animated film and getting sucked into their unique worlds. Not to mention getting to know the wonderful characters. It's something that makes me happy and brings a huge amount of joy into my life.

I'll never get over my grandfather's passing, but this wonderful art form that has the power to create such wonderful worlds and beautiful stories helps me cope with it. When you are going through a harsh time in your life, nothing will make you feel better than doing something you are truly passionate about. To me, that is animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment