Thursday, January 9, 2014

Disney Infinity is a Disney Fan's Dream Video Game


Ever since I learned how to pick up a controller and play a video game, I've always wanted a game where all of the Disney characters come together. Just think about it! All of wonderful, memorable characters from a massive library of excellent films coming together in one video game! The wait for that perfect game was made easier by the Kingdom Hearts games, an excellent Action-RPG franchise with world from different Disney films. But while I absolutely love those games, in terms of Disney characters, there aren't as many as I hoped there would be. There would only be around 5. Now, my lifelong search for that perfect Disney game is over with the release of Disney Infinity, a game that not only celebrates 90 years of Disney characters and history, but is also inventive in its ideas and focuses of creativity and fun.

In order to start the Disney Infinity experience, you need to get a starter pack. The starter pack includes the game and three figures. The figures are Sulley from Monsters University, Mr. Incredible from The Incredibles, and Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean. It also comes with an Infinity Base for you to plug into the console and put the figures on to play them in the game. It also comes with a Power Disc and a Play Set piece for the three characters.

Play Sets allow you to play in different worlds from various films. The starter pack comes with a Play Set piece which have Play Sets from Monsters University, The Incredibles and Pirates of the Caribbean. The other Play Sets are a Cars Play Set, a Toy Story Play Set and a Play Set for The Lone Ranger, with more to come in the future. A Play Set is a structured story mode and you are only able to play them with the characters that belong in that world. For example, you can't have Captain Jack Sparrow play in the Monsters University world. I am really thankful for that because as a Disney fan, I would only want to play with the figure that comes from the film the Play Set is from. I am really enjoying the Play Sets. I have completed the Monsters University play set and I'm in the middle of playing The Incredibles Play Set. I am loving the Play Sets and they are a great way to be able to play in each of the characters' worlds. I think it would be a good idea if I review different Play Sets on my blog as I complete them because they are pretty much full fledged games.

Of course, the centerpiece of Disney Infinity is the Toy Box, where you can build and play in your own worlds. When I first heard about Disney Infinity, I definitely saw the overflowing potential it has. The Toy Box is an excellent idea. I have been spending hours on end building and playing and unlocking in the Toy Box. It is extremely fun and you really are only limited to your imagination. The options are endless. There are some really amazing things that I have done in the Toy Box. Simply describing it cannot do it justice. You need to experience it for yourself to recognize it full potential.

The controls in this game are perfect. They are very responsive and easy to get used to. I got this game on the Wii U and this games makes great use of the gamepad. It lets you quickly switch weapons to give your character, which is extremely simple. The game also features Off TV Play which works great as well, among other features. The controls are very intuitive and the Wii U gamepad only improves upon them. The multiplayer in this game is excellent as well. You could play with up to 2 players locally and you could play with up to 4 players online.

The graphics in this game are gorgeous. Everything has a toy look to it, obviously, and I think it's a really nice looking art direction they took with the game. The colors are very vibrant and really nice to look at. The textures also look great and add to the toy look the game has. The game also maintains a smooth frame rate, but it does drop quite a bit depending on how many toys are in the Toy Box. The game did make my Wii U freeze a couple times, though. However, there have been a few updates and since I got them, the game hasn't frozen my Wii U so there is nothing to worry about anymore. The load times could be improved a bit, though. The long load times are most likely due to how many toys are in the Toy Box. The Toy Box experience is a massive one and it is pretty much impossible to get bored of it.

Overall, Disney Infinity is an excellent game. It is really inventive and fun and, honestly, it makes every other sub-par Disney Interactive games look like mere filler material to build up to this game. I can't think of a better way to celebrate Disney's rich history and it is exactly the type of video game I've wanted for years.

Game Score: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment