Thursday, January 2, 2014

Frozen Becomes the Second Highest Grossing Disney Animated Film in the Domestic Box Office


Not only has Frozen broken the record for the biggest Thanksgiving debut, but it is now the 2nd highest grossing Disney animated film in the domestic box office, just behind The Lion King. To this day, Frozen has made $271 million domestically and $539 million worldwide.

I am really excited about this. Just thinking about the fact that Frozen actually has a shot at becoming the highest grossing Disney animated film really excites me. When I mentioned that Frozen has broken Disney box office records recently, I also mentioned how it was because of Disney's marketing. However, it made it seem like I was praising the marketing of the film because I was only focusing on the Elsa trailer for the film. However, I realized something. I realized that Frozen is actually a bit mismarketed. Many of the TV spots seem to focus on Olaf, the comic relief in the film. So much so that many people I have spoken to who have not seen the film thought that Olaf is the main character, which is not at all the case!

One thing I should praise about the marketing is that it is really out there and strong. There always seems to be a poster or a TV spot everywhere I look. Given the box office numbers, the marketing is clearly working. I am still hearing that Frozen is sold out, despite it being out for a month already!

I also think Frozen really deserves to beat The Lion King in the box office because it's actually better than The Lion King is. In fact, many Disney animated films are better than The Lion King, especially the more recent Disney films.

Overall, I think Frozen really has a shot at being the highest grossing Disney animated film and I can't wait to see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment